[Olsr-users] OLSR mesh with loop potential... having problems.

John Clark (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 26 20:29:52 CEST 2012

Thanks all,

I updated my olsrd to the 6.3 version that's on the download page. Compiled ok, and did an install and 'install_libs', which seems to have cured my problem with loading the plugins.

I used the default installed olsrd.conf, and only changed the interfaces list.

My net/mesh has 4 nodes, and looks like a 'wheel', where the nodes have direct connection to a 'central node', for 3 direct connections,  and there are 2 other connections that connect the 3 other 'outer' nodes.

When I have all the network connections made, the route tables seem to 'work'...

From the point of view of one of the outher nodes, call it Outer-1, when all is connected, I 'see' the Central-Node in the route table as would be expected.
And networks on the Central-Node, that are not directly connected to Outer-1, are listed as 2 hops away.

I also see Outer-2, directly connected to Outer-1 in the 'LINKS' section.

When I unplug (simulating nework outage...) the direct connect between Outer-1 and Central-Node, Outer-1 route tables do not update to forward to Central-Node, via Outer-2.

I'll try to give a text diagram...

Outer-1  <--Link 4-----> Outer-2  <----Link 5---> Outer-3
     |                                         |                                      |
    Link 1                           Link 2                              Link 3
     |                                         |                                      |
[ Central-node three separate interfaces connect to the 3 outer node units ]

I'm prototyping this configuration as copper ethernet links... however when this put into the field, all these connections will be radios and attendant potential outage issues.

I consider the links 1-3 'primary'... and the links 4-5 to be 'secondary'...

If someone could 'intuit' what I'm trying to achieve, and either make suggestions on how to do that... or olsrd is not the right routing tool to use for dynamic rerouting like this,
I'd appreciate it...

As a note, in the past, upon reflection, my 'meshes' have been either linear chains or trees, and there have bee no internal loops. I'd hate to have to put in some sort of 'sensing code' to sense the connectivity on the various routes, and bring interfaces up, or shut them down, to force the mesh to be a tree or chain...

Thanks,
John Clark.

When everything is connected, the '2 hop' diagnostic indicates that there 2 networks