[Olsr-users] [Olsr-dev] Meshing over VPNs

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) (spam-protected)
Sun Oct 9 23:25:07 CEST 2011

> One solution we (Nemesis, Florz and me) now implemented is using the
> Link Quality Multiplier to worsen the percieved link quality of links
> inside the Tinc cloud where links we know to be direct connections of
> Tinc nodes are treated like normal, but non-direct links get a penalty.
> The way this was implemented was by asking Tinc to dump a GraphDumpFile
> every minute (unfortunately you can't make this more often) and
> reconfiguring the link quality multiplier per link dynamically. The
> resulting plugin has been in production for about 4 weeks now and no
> major fuckups have been found.

Hello,

at Ninux we have the same setup. Some nodes of the OLSR network have a
VPN interface done with tinc-vpn. We used as last resort if some links
fail, like an OOB access.

in the VPN subnet, OLSR see a full mesh of connections among the vpn nodes

to prefer wireless links instead of VPN we used LinkQualityMult
configured with 0.2

I dont understand what feature the plugin adds. I cannot achieve the
same thing configuring olsrd.conf in the VPN nodes with the required
LinkQualityMult ?

thanks for clarification

Saverio :)