[Olsr-users] [Olsr-dev] Meshing over VPNs

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 4 11:23:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Benny Baumann <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> (well, several of our routers died regularly from the routing tables
> being too large).

hmm why are the routing tables getting too large?

olsrd would anyways just create as many routes as there are targets (hosts)
(regardless of the topology)

but the with such a huge layer2 broadcast domain, olsrds network topology
gets bigger (and therefore the olsrd memeory consumption)
furthermore the number of olsrd messages might get very unfunny)

and also olsrd can not split hello messages (so they can`t get bigger than
1500bytes), so the number of neighbours that olsrd can handle is limited
awell. (with ipv6 even more as with ipv4)

> One solution we (Nemesis, Florz and me) now implemented is using the
> Link Quality Multiplier to worsen the percieved link quality of links
> inside the Tinc cloud where links we know to be direct connections of
> Tinc nodes are treated like normal, but non-direct links get a penalty.
> The way this was implemented was by asking Tinc to dump a GraphDumpFile
> every minute (unfortunately you can't make this more often) and
> reconfiguring the link quality multiplier per link dynamically. The
> resulting plugin has been in production for about 4 weeks now and no
> major fuckups have been found.

but honestly, this approach doesn`t sound very well,..

Markus