[Olsr-users] How to apply LinkQualityMult or Mode for very high speed wireless I/F?

Ben West (spam-protected)
Wed Mar 23 08:01:24 CET 2011

Hi All,

In lieu of recent progress getting HT speeds to work on some Nanostation M5s
that I am deploying with OpenWRT/OLSR, I am curious how I can adapt OLSR
link quality monitoring for the newer radios.

Right now, the three 5GHz OLSR nodes I've deployed all report 1.00 for LQ
and NLQ, I believe because their packet loss at 150Mbit/s+ connection speeds
drops to a negligible amount.  With one active gateway, this results in a
simple star topology.

Ideally, I would like OLSR to build multi-hop routes between nodes with high
connection speeds, e.g. 150Mbit/s vs 60Mbit/s.  However, the only way I get
get such link info is using the iw command line tool, e.g.

(spam-protected):~# iw wlan01 station dump
Station 00:15:xx:xx:xx:ee (on wlan01)
inactive time: 40 ms
rx bytes: 462601257
rx packets: 1111779
tx bytes: 651580105
tx packets: 804522
signal:   -54 dBm
tx bitrate: 130.0 MBit/s MCS 15
Station 00:15:xx:xx:xx:f8 (on wlan01)
inactive time: 0 ms
rx bytes: 205098974
rx packets: 1324413
tx bytes: 1999443832
tx packets: 1579520
signal:   -68 dBm
tx bitrate: 60.0 MBit/s MCS 3 40Mhz short GI

I'm guessing that OLSR is only looking at packet loss % on each interface
to gauge link quality.  Can this be overridden?

P.S. These are the relevant settings I'm using for OLSR v0.6

IpVersion 4

Pollrate  0.025
FIBMetric "flat"

UseHysteresis no