[Olsr-users] High-level questions about encryption on OLSR ad-hoc mesh

Eric Malkowski (spam-protected)
Tue Mar 1 17:05:00 CET 2011

Ben-

Did you find this note on WPA-NONE for AD-hoc mode.  It was on my list
of things to try on my setup, but never got around to it

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2010-April/025052.html

I wanted to chime in here on my experience with the secure plugin.  I've
done an outdoor network each year for the Head Of The Charles Regatta
very similar to what Ben wants to do (Mesh Ad-hoc backhauls on 5.8,
local radios for AP on 2.4) and found that 2 years ago when bringing up
the last node in the network, routes would disappear within minutes
whenever the total nodes on the network was 10 or more.  In doing
investigation I found OLSRd was crashing on what appeared to be random
nodes (i.e. not sure if they were MPRs / non-MPR neighbors etc. -- I
wasn't able to characterize since we were scrambling to just make it
work).  Usually it would crash w/in the secure plugin (kernel was
reporting some of those details in dmesg I think -- olsr secure .so
(share lib)).  I ended up having to frantically add a bunch of static
routes and shut OLSR off on a node or two to get stability.  This was
running 0.5.8r6 I believe.

The next year I brought up the who setup on the bench and found when
bringing up the 10th node, usually w/in minutes one or more OLSRd
crashes.  I tried to run in gdb and do a stack trace but the stack had
nothing useful (seemed corrupt), so I went to plan B -- I turned off the
secure plugin -- this year we ran a 12 node network for the entire
weekend with no crashes and rock solid stability.

I'm thinking there is something that overflows or gets stomped on in the
secure plugin implementation when the number of nodes is 10 or more.
Perhaps the signature calculation is overstepping a buffer or something
to that effect.

My approach to keeping people off the 5.8 mesh was a few things
(security in layers, not trying to protect traffic -- the goal here is
to only have proper OLSR participants on the ad-hoc parts of the network):

1. Use the ahdemo mode for MADWIFI -- no management frames at all: no
beacons, no association, no probes, just data.  Then we don't see other
"things" on our frequency doing ad-hoc and they typically don't see us
unless using a sniffer etc.  This also avoids ad-hoc "cell" splits --
they just talk.

2. Use WEP -- simple iwconfig commands to set a static WEP key for all
of the 5.8 ghz radios works well for me.  WEP is weak, but the more
things you do the better (and the wireless chip does the crypto keeping
the CPU free for everything else).

3. Use the OLSR secure plugin to have signed OLSR packets so if someone
cracks the WEP they can't poison the mesh routing

4. No DHCP or DNS services answering on the mesh interface -- mesh
interface job is to just find routes with OLSR and route data.

Someone with decent knowledge of the setup could certainly cause
trouble, but with over 300,000 people attending the event smart phones
and all it hasn't been a problem.  Plus the event is only for 1 weekend
and the entire setup is temporary outdoor.  This year we had to turn off
the OLSR secure and it still wasn't an issue -- people are attracted to
the 2.4 ghz APs since they run DHCP w/ a splashpage for access etc.
These all end up being HNAs.

If I manage to get around to trying out WPA-NONE, I'll let you know my
results.

Ben -- if you are interested in seeing some more details of the setup we
use send me an e-mail and I can forward some links.  I have a google map
with points and lines on it showing some of the details of what we do
each year.  Good luck with your build out.

--
Eric Malkowski
BVWireless, LLC