[Olsr-users] High-level questions about encryption on OLSR ad-hoc mesh

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Mar 1 09:12:05 CET 2011

On Tue March 1 2011 08:49:55 Ben West wrote:
> Hi Henning,
>
> Thank you for the responses.  I was indeed looking into attaching
> VPN-capable boxes at wired points on the mesh to create encrypted tunnels
> where necessary, not only because the firmware stack I'm using (OpenWRT +
> ath9k) doesn't appear to support encryption in ad-hoc at present, but also
> because I would expect such encryption to take a heavy toll on the little
> 400MHz CPUs of the access points.
If WPA2 wouldbe working, the encryption might happen on the WLAN chip
(depending on the hardware).

> Are there requirements on the key in this text file, or is it arbitrary?
see /lib/secure/README_SECURE

> I.e. could it be any sequence of characters, ideally of some non-trivial
> length and with decent entropy?  E.g. an MD5 hash of the current UNIX time?
Each nodes must be configured with the SAME keyfile.

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE