[Olsr-users] High-level questions about encryption on OLSR ad-hoc mesh

Ben West (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 15 08:06:44 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Ben West <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> My present firmware stack (OpenWRT + ath9k in mesh mode) appears to support
> no layer2 encryption for Nano M5 radios I'm using, i.e. WPA-NONE, WPA, WEP.
>  I'd love to be wrong about that.  Madwifi might do it, but then I'd lose
> nice features of the radio like HT modes.

Hurray! I am indeed wrong about WPA-NONE not working under OpenWRT backfire
in IBSS mode.  It's great to be wrong.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=133076#p133076

The caveat is that I can not get HT40+/- modes to work with WPA-NONE,
apparently since wpa_supplicant expects to get such interface parameters
from hostapd in an STA / AP arrangement, whereas all nodes run
wpa_supplicant in a ad-hoc mode.  Indeed, I'd like to be wrong again here.
;)

Still, WPA-NONE does work for OpenWRT Backfire + ath9k in IBSS mode.

--
Ben West
(spam-protected)