[Olsr-users] High-level questions about encryption on OLSR ad-hoc mesh

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 13 10:21:28 CEST 2011

> Going on the assumption that one still wouldn't want to run tinc on access
> point itself (whose CPUs run at 180MHz or 400MHz), and that the end-user
> wouldn't run tinc on their desktop, do you have experience running tinc on a
> dedicated box at the mesh's edge, with the other end of the tinc tunnel
> terminating at whatever box manages your mesh's wired uplink(s)?

At Ninux we run tincd on embedded routers, like Ubiquiti NanoStations
and Ubiquiti PicoStation and we have acceptable performances. We also
run it on cheaper hardware without any problem.

Because tincd is userspace VPN you will not be able to perform more
than few Mbit/s from those device in the VPN tunnel, but depending on
your application that could be reasonable.

Saverio