[Olsr-users] OLSR in Android...a good idea? (and stuff)

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 17 10:24:01 CEST 2010

On Fri September 17 2010 09:22:58 Robert Keyes wrote:
> Interesting you talk about IPv6. I've only worked in IPv4, but I am sure I
> could switch to IP6. One of the reasons I have stayed with IPv4 is I have
> an enormous amount of portable IPv4 space.
Most people don't own any IPv4 address.

> I have had this idea to run private tunnels from certain points on the net
> to a router which will then 'unwrap' the packets and send them to the
> public Internet, with the source address that I give them. The tunnel can
> and should be encrypted.
If your "borderrouter" is fast enough encryption is a good idea.

> One of the things I'd like to see, though this may be present already, is
> a truely 'virtual' wifi device. That is, connect to any number of devices
> as a client, AP, or adhoc device, with different MAC addresses as chosen,
> perhaps on different channels at the same time (802.11b channels. Since
> 802.11g already has a DSP capable of covering 3 802.11b channels, I figure
> it may be possible).
Being connected to multiple APs/Adhoc-Networks has nothing to do with the DSP,
it's a pure software thing for most WLAN cards. The problem is that many
embedded WLAN chips are full-mac implementation, so you cannot solve this
problem in software.

> This way, I could use muliple upstreams, aggregating
> them through my VPN Tunnel. It would also be really nice if all of these
> were automatically associated with, so as I am travelling, each open AP I
> come across is automatically used to set up a tunnel.
>
> One of the other ideas I'd like to add is a virtual link of two mesh nodes
> through another node, particularly through an AP. Imagine that two mesh
> nodes can't see each other, and this causes mesh isolation as a result.
> But two nodes can see the same open AP...
Combining layer 2 and 3 routing is always risky. Most IP programms are
designed with the idea that linklocal-scope multicast/broadcast is fast and
cheap. This is not true anymore if you use layer-2 routing.

> if they both associate with the
> AP, they can talk to each other and unite the meshes, without using any
> bit of the APs bandwidth.
Depends on the settings of the AP. Many of them don't allow communication
between the clients for security reasons.

> I've had some ideas on how you could do similar
> without even associating to the AP, in the case of WEP with an unknown
> key, but this might be just a little but too much hacking.
WEP is similar secure than no encryption at all.

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE