[Olsr-users] OLSR in Android...a good idea? (and stuff)

Robert Keyes (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 17 09:22:58 CEST 2010

Interesting you talk about IPv6. I've only worked in IPv4, but I am sure I
could switch to IP6. One of the reasons I have stayed with IPv4 is I have
an enormous amount of portable IPv4 space.

I have had this idea to run private tunnels from certain points on the net
to a router which will then 'unwrap' the packets and send them to the
public Internet, with the source address that I give them. The tunnel can
and should be encrypted. Exactly where the tunnel end-user endpoint is,
well we can figure that out depending on application. The other thing that
can be done with these tunnels is to aggregate several upstreams. Now that
I have FiOS it is quite so important to me, but before I had thought of
aggregating my cable modem with my neighbor's DSL and get some serious
throughput. Of course one of the other things that can be done with the
tunneling I describe is to avoid censorship. My current endpoint is a
rented server in the US, which has some advantage in content laws, but
disadvantages in others (US protects political speech, but extends
'intellectual property rights protection' much beyond other
jurisdictions). I had considered getting a server in Iceland to have the
most freedom, but they're not nearly ready...and since they've turned
against Julian Assange, they may never be.

One of the things I'd like to see, though this may be present already, is
a truely 'virtual' wifi device. That is, connect to any number of devices
as a client, AP, or adhoc device, with different MAC addresses as chosen,
perhaps on different channels at the same time (802.11b channels. Since
802.11g already has a DSP capable of covering 3 802.11b channels, I figure
it may be possible). This way, I could use muliple upstreams, aggregating
them through my VPN Tunnel. It would also be really nice if all of these
were automatically associated with, so as I am travelling, each open AP I
come across is automatically used to set up a tunnel.

One of the other ideas I'd like to add is a virtual link of two mesh nodes
through another node, particularly through an AP. Imagine that two mesh
nodes can't see each other, and this causes mesh isolation as a result.
But two nodes can see the same open AP...if they both associate with the
AP, they can talk to each other and unite the meshes, without using any
bit of the APs bandwidth. I've had some ideas on how you could do similar
without even associating to the AP, in the case of WEP with an unknown
key, but this might be just a little but too much hacking.

If you use any of my ideas, please attribute them to me. I may want to go
after my master's degree and then perhaps doctorate and I'd love to write
a thesis containing these ideas.

-Bob