[Olsr-users] OLSR in Android...a good idea?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 17 08:54:33 CEST 2010

On Fri September 17 2010 08:45:02 Mitar wrote:
> > I don't think we will get IPv6 on UMTS/Edge/CDMA soon. (snip)
> >
> > So if we want to share the online connection, we have to use IPv4. (snip)
>
> I cannot agree with that. As I wrote I hope that we will try as much
> as we can to connect everything in one big mesh and not have
> individual "bubbles". What you write could be true only in
> mobile-phone only mesh networks. But even there this is not true. IPv6
> can be tunneled over UMTS/Edge/CDMA, 6to4 could probably also work,
> not to mention that even my Android phone now has support for ethernet
> over USB, so that I can just connect it to my laptop and it can give
> uplink to the mesh (if we talk about mobile-only meshes).
I'm not sure that I see the usage of 6to4/tunnel to use IPv6 over UMTS.
Connecting the mobile devices to fixed nodes might be different if we finally
get IPv6 DSL.

> But of course we will not have such meshes. I hope. There will be
> laptops and "big" nodes we already have, which will allow for
> uplink/gateway. And they will be also powerful enough to run AHCP
> daemons.
Do you have any information about AHCP and prefix delegation ? I think it's
still a TODO. The problem is prefix delegation has something to do with the
gateway selection, so it cannot be done without the routing protocol.

> > The more important thing is that we need to think about a way to tune our
> > protocols for both cases (wired/mobil) without the need of configuration
> > for the user.
>
> And even more important: power consumption. Currently running OLSR on
> my Android phone depletes its battery in four hours. This then makes
> it something which I cannot have on all the time. But it would be
> great if I could have.
How long does you phones battery run with WLAN in adhoc mode without OLSR ?

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE