[Olsr-users] OLSR in Android...a good idea?

Charles Boyd (spam-protected)
Thu Sep 16 21:04:38 CEST 2010

Hi Robert!

First, I think your idea of flagging portable devices on an OLSR network is
interesting and would be worth considering further. I spent most of this
summer (through GSoC) working on a mesh networking application for Android
which is built on OLSR. The project is open source, you can browse the
repository online here:

http://wlan-lj.net/browser/trunk/meshapp

And the wiki page for the project (which needs an update) is here:

http://wlan-lj.net/wiki/Podrobnosti/MeshApp

I am still maintaining this project, but I have been busy with moving and
school for the last few weeks so there have not been any changes to the code
base recently. I will have time this weekend to work on a few critical
issues that will make the application (hopefully) workable in some basic
sense. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would be very glad to hear
them.

I have much of the equipment needed to set up a testbed here in Boston,
> but so few people interested in mesh wifi enough to give their time. What
> a shame.

This is fantastic! I am about an hour and a half away from Boston (depending
on how fast one drives...) out in Amherst, MA -- I study mathematics and
computer science here at UMass. I too have some mesh network equipment, and
have been seriously entertaining the idea of building a small test bed
around here.

Something interesting I have recently learned about is that there is already
some existing infrastructure for such a network to be built here, and there
are hoards of students that would be interested in such a project. See the
following links:

http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/dome/amherst-community-wireless

http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/dome/umassdieselnet

http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/dome/dieselnet-buses

So there is already some basis for work to be done here. Unfortunately,
these websites do not have particularly recent information -- so I will have
to find somebody who works on the project to get more information about what
the situation is currently like.

Anyway, I would be willing to drive down to Boston and meet up with you at
some point soon if you would like to discuss building a mesh testbed, mesh
networking on Android, tweaking OLSR for mobile usage...etc.

It would be quite interesting to have mesh networks in Boston and Amherst,
especially considering the relatively large student population.

Best,
-Charles