[Olsr-users] How to configure olsr running nodes and its attached non-olsr clients

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Sat Oct 23 10:58:46 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:03 AM, mason <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure the following network using olsr.
>

> PC <-----> Node 1 ---- Node 2 ---- Node 3 <----> Camera
>     wired       wireless    wireless       wired
>

> PC: 172.31.1.10/24
> Node1: WAN (172.31.1.110/24)
>        LAN (172.16.1.110/24)
>       WLAN (10.10.1.110/24)
> Node2:
>        LAN (172.16.1.120/24)
>       WLAN (10.10.1.120/24)
> Node3:
>        LAN (172.16.1.130/24)
>       WLAN (10.10.1.130/24)
> Camera: 172.16.1.210/24
>

> Basically. PC wants to monitor the scene from camera. Although I imposed
> firewall to allow all
> of the traffic between interfaces, routing between olsr running nodes are
> working well.

> I can ping PC <--> Node1, Node1<--> Node2<--->Node3 and Node2<-->Camera.
> In other case, like PC <--> Camera, PC<-->Node2, PC<-->Node3, I can not
> find any connectivity between them.

olsrd generates only routes to targets it knows! #1

so you need to add hna entries in the olsrd.conf for the pc on node1 and the
camera on node3.
this announces that pc is reachable via node1 (and camera via node3) in the
olsr mesh.

you can announce the whole network, or just some hosts
e.g. on node3 (announce only the camera )
Hna4{
172.16.1.210 <http://172.16.1.110/24> 255.255.255.255
}

on node1 (announce the complete WAN segment (172.31.1.0/24))
Hna4{
172.31.1.0 255.255.255.0 <http://172.31.1.110/24>
}

furthermore you need static routes (e.g. a default route / correct gateway)
on the pc and on the camera
e.g. camera: gateway: 172.16.1.110 <http://172.16.1.110/24>
on the pc 172.31.1.110

Markus

p.s. it`s "enough" to use WLAN as the only olsr "interfaces" on all your
nodes in this setup.

Adding interfaces without olsr neighbours has not much "benefit", as olsr
does not announce the network segments on this interfaces automatically ->
you need to use HNAs for this.

furthermore you used the same segement (172.16.1.0/24) for LAN on all
nodes,
this ist not helpful to get connectivity between them,..

#1 btw: olsr only create routes, it does not handle any trafffic itself