[Olsr-users] Streaming live audio

k. (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 20 23:08:56 CEST 2010

Hi Mitar,

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 22:51 +0200, Mitar wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Charles Boyd <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> > So I think you could connect some microphone to a small computer on the
> > network,
>
> I would like it to be used directly with routers we have on roofs. So
> that you can in same box you have router on the roof one small mic and
> this would be it. Maybe we would need a router with USB. But not more
> than this. I hope.

AFAIK it is not that easy. All those embedded CPUs are not really
capable live encoding .. at least not formats as ogg or alike.

I have been experimenting with sheevaplug hardware for that purpose, but
didn't succeed yet to let even the 1.2ghz arm live encode signal from
usb audio. the problem on this plattform, even with such a powerful CPU
(we have been streaming with 400mhz pentiumII plattforms and 400bm ram
10 yrs ago, that worked steady and stable), but the arm in those boxes
doesn't have an fpu. without floating point unit we are doomed as all
common encoders are floating point calculations. there are said to be
some mp3 integer codecs, but none of those worked in my tests, all
completely failed.
but there is a new star on the codec horizon, the celt codec from
xiph.org. it is integer based, but still quite young. it even didn't
have a feature freeze yet. but after some vfp tests (a so called virtual
floating point, whatever that is) on the sheeva soc / kirkwood cpu, I
will try to run encoding from line-in via gstreamer to a server, where I
can re-encode it and put it on icecast.
another problem is a decent, but still cheap usb line-in. there are
some, but the cheapo 4 Euro thingies are only mic-in. I have a
yet-to-test 8 Euro video grabber (audio/video chinches to usb) lying
around. another bet is the imic or alike (~30 Euro).

I am interested to discuss that further and hope that helps so far.

grtz from Leipzig,
kloschi