[Olsr-users] Hello from Pirate Party Sweden

Erik Lönroth (spam-protected)
Sun Nov 7 10:45:53 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> (...)
> (I am refering to posting http://lists.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-users/2010-November/004313.html )
>

>> This week, we will update the openWRT homepage with a very easy to
>
> Woah, wait! You (the pirate party ) want to update the openwrt.ORG home page?

The wiki offcourse. I dont think I can or would update their homepage.
My misstake of terms,

>> follow guide how to get olsr up and running. Possibly patching the
>> packages for ubuntu and openWRT to make the installations trivial.
>> Thats a good start in order to make develoment and deployment simplistic.
>>

> Erik, please clarify...
>
> I thought openwrt.org was an open source project and not the homepage for a
> political project of the pirate party?
> I mean it is nice that you want to write a howto, that is great, but *on* the openwrt.org main page?
> Did you discuss this with the openwrt.org developers? Would you write that as individuals
> or as "pirate party sweden"?

Don't get me wrong. I would never impose my own political opinion on a
open source project as such. I admire the people working with openWRT
that has created something really amazing and I am just proud helping
openWRT be even better.

Updating the openWRT wiki seems like a quick and easy way to
contribute our 10 cents to this. Further on, we hope to give back any
software updates we make.

As you know, the Pirate Party is heavily promoting open source
principles. Taking this seriously, means also making sure to implement
this in real life - by contributing.

> For my side, I would not be too happy if *any* political party meddles with open source projects.
> Support of open source projects is great, but simply "updating their webpage" is sort of...
> well... you know... this attitude sucks ;-)
> But maybe you meant something else, so please clarify. Did you mean the openwrt Wiki ?

Again - the wiki.

To clarify what exactly we are trying to do:

We are aiming to send up a baloon with openWRT (network and OS
platform), olsr (as a service) and deliver a message (content).

This is to achieve a set of goals:

1. The use of a completely open platform is efficient use of
creativity, money and talent.
2. Providing a free, useful, networking service (olsr) - which is also
an interesting research project. (That will be contributed to others)
3. Help others with the technology to deliver a content/message which
is difficult to "censor"/"filter"/"block". This is important for
people living in places where freedom of information is not obvious.

> Besides, I agree with Mitar:
>  "Probably it would be good that you first get hands-on experience
> yourself. Before you try to make guides for others. ;-)"

We will =)

Thanx alot for taking your time to read though and comment. We intend
to be as transparent as possible and we aim to contribute every part
of our progress back to the projects we make use of.

/Erik