[Olsr-users] OLSRd 0.6.0 released

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri May 14 00:03:58 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag 13 Mai 2010, 22:45:27 schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> >> I cannot find it in the Git repository:
> > (only in the stable branch).
>
> Ah, thanks.
>
> For anyone as stupid as me -- it's at
>

> http://olsr.org/git/?p=olsrd.git;a=blob;f=README-Olsr-Extensions;hb=refs/h
> eads/stable
>
> The NIIT device itsef is described on http://wiki.freifunk.net/Niit ,
> but unfortunately in German.
I will talk with the guys in Berlin about the problem, maybe they can set up a
proper project with a little bit english description.

> Before I work out what it says -- how does
> that differ from a GRE tunnel?
NIIT is a device that use IPIP tunnels you don't need to configure. Every IPv4
packet you send into the NIIT4to6 device is encapsulated into an IPv6 packet.
Source and destination address are CALCULATED from the IPv4 src/dst, so NIIT
is an easy way to set up 4over6 tunnels between the mesh nodes.

Should not be that difficult to build something similar for GRE tunnels.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.
— The Laws of Thermodynamics, summarized