[Olsr-users] Changing IP on the interface

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 4 11:10:53 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:02, Mitar <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> Yes. Changing the main IP does bad things to OLSRd and it never worked
>> right, so we blocked it completely some time ago.
>
> No problem. I wish that main IP is fixed. Only that additional IPs
> change through time.
>
>> Try to switch on Source-IP routes (SrcIpRoutes yes) and set a fixed IP
>> in the config file (MainIp <your main ip>) and olsrd 0.6.0 will set up
>> an additional IP on the localhost interface.
>
> I am using 0.5.6-r8 with SOURCE_IP_ROUTES set to 1. Is this enough?
I think yes... but you might want to switch to 0.6.0 (which is
0.5.6-r8 plus bugfixes, a cleaned up linux routing code and some
features).

> But adding additional IP to the localhost interface is so that Linux
> would not have problems if some other interface goes down. This does
> not enforce olsrd to use that as a main interface.
The "never change main ip" got into OLSRd a few versions ago.

> This changed in
> 0.6.0? Or this is changed with MainIp? I would not like to bump our
> version of olsrd so how can I make main IP stick with 0.5.6-r8?
The main IP will never change in 0.5.6-r8. I'm just not sure it set's
up the localhost ip with SOURCE_IP_ROUTES.

Markus added the patch to 0.5.6-r7/8 to allow us to run a second OLSR
network on the same hardware in vienna (both with their own routing
table). It was not really "supported" until 0.6.0.

"Wo kämen wir hin, wenn alle sagten, wo kämem wir hin, und niemand
ginge, um einmal zu schauen, wohin man käme, wenn man ginge." (Kurt
Marti)