[Olsr-users] High CPU utilization

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Wed Jan 27 23:17:53 CET 2010

Am 27.01.2010, 23:01 Uhr, schrieb Adam Wozniak <(spam-protected)>:

> I'm using olsrd-0.5.6-r8 on two machines.
>
> One is my laptop, and x86 machine with both a wireless adapter, and a
> wired connection to the internet.
> The second is a small ARM based machine with only a wireless adapter.
>
> I start them up and configure the wireless cards in ad-hoc mode and give
> them IP addresses 172.20.0.1 and 172.20.0.2
>
> I start up olsrd on the console of the ARM machine.  Things look fine.
>
> I then start olsrd on the console of the x86 machine, and the ARM
> machine goes nuts, hitting 90% to 95% CPU and spitting all kinds of
> messages to the console.  (see below).
what messages do you mean?

> IP addr (2-hop)  IP addr (1-hop)  Total cost
> 76.107.4.0       172.20.0.2       INFINITE
this ones?

i would suggest to turn off debug output *GGG

one quesrtion: does your arm router have any other running olsr-neighbours
before you start the olsrd on x86?

> I've also included an olsrd.conf file (below).
>
> What the heck is going on here?  Is this normal / expected behavior?
no *G
at least not if u have an working configuration, wihtout debugoutput! *G

> IP addr (2-hop)  IP addr (1-hop)  Total cost
> 76.107.4.0       172.20.0.2       INFINITE
> (and so on, for all kinds of random IP addresses...)
does this stay infinite?

> #
> # olsr.org configuration file
> #
>
> DebugLevel        2
to say it again: use 0 here! *G

the more debug messages olsrd blows out on stdout the more cpu your small
(arm) router will need,...
potentially far more than it has,..

debuglevel of 2 might work out, but i don`t know your topology, and your
hardware
btw. never ever try 9 on an embedded device (and if you have alarge mesh,
not even on a moderate powered x86 server *G)

usually (for productino use) i woudl recommend to compile olsrd without
any debugoutput built in (especially for embedded devices)
(afaik this should be so in the default Makefile included in our stable
releases,..)

> ClearScreen        yes
>
> IpVersion        4
>
> Hna4
> {
> #    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
> }
>
> UseHysteresis        no
>
> HystScaling        0.10
> HystThrHigh        0.80
> HystThrLow        0.30
deprecated imho

> TcRedundancy        2
>
> MprCoverage        9
>
> LinkQualityLevel    2
>
> LinkQualityWinSize    20
deprecated afaik

> LoadPlugin "olsrd_httpinfo.so.0.1"
> {
>     PlParam "Port" "8080"
>     PlParam "Net" "172.20.0.0 255.255.0.0"
> }
>
> # ARM and x86 have different named interfaces here.  NEITHER lists "eth0"
>
> Interface "wlan12"
> {
>     HelloInterval        2.0
>     HelloValidityTime    40.0
>     TcInterval        3.0
>     TcValidityTime        15.0
>     MidInterval        5.0
>     MidValidityTime        15.0
>     HnaInterval        5.0
>     HnaValidityTime     15.0
> }
validity times are quite short, but i don`t know you network size, packe
tlossen,....
if tpopology informatino times out often, this may introduce some cpu load

furthermore take alook into syslog

if olsrd fills it up with some erros, you will get some cpu load