[Olsr-users] G1 / Linksys WRT demo

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Sat Jan 16 21:54:29 CET 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 9:25 PM, marc fawzi wrote:

> I just found this list of supported OpenWrt hardware:
>
> http://nuwiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
>
> But what is the problem with wanting to enhance the reception by using an amplifier like this one? http://www.danets.com/turbotenna/turbotenna%20009xt.php

The problem is that you disturb everyone else. And that is against the idea of a mesh. At the end you start a race who sends "louder" and then at some point all stations "scream" at each other. This results in high noise for everybody but no bandwidth.

> I assume the higher the reception s/n the wider the coverage area per node (assuming you pick hardware that has sufficiently high Tx power)

Think: many small mesh nodes which whisper. Much more effective re-use of shared spectrum.