[Olsr-users] Integration between dnsmasq and olsr (again?)

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) (spam-protected)
Mon Jan 4 10:45:56 CET 2010

What you want to do is exactly a feature of the NameService Plugin.

Read the README file inside the folder of the Name Service Plugin in
the lib directory.

This file:
http://olsr.org/git/?p=olsrd.git;a=blob_plain;f=lib/nameservice/README_NAMESERVICE;hb=master

you will find:

* use dnsmasq
	if you want to make the names available via ordinary DNS
	you can use dnsmasq to read the hosts file and serve it to
	users. add "addn-hosts=/var/run/hosts_olsr" to dnsmasq.conf
        and:
               PlParam "sighup-pid-file" "/var/run/dnsmasq.pid"

        to your nameservice plugin configuration.

        This is especially usefull for infrastructure mesh networks that
        can't afford to run olsrd on all the clients but wish to provide
        DNS to them. This is solved by running dnsmasq and olsrd with
        this setup on "edge" nodes that provide connectivity.

I hope this helped you.

Best regards :)

Saverio