[Olsr-users] Scalability of Networks using Olsr_Switch

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 16 16:40:17 CET 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Lo, Caleb K. wrote:

> Hi Henning and Markus,
>                 Thank you for your helpful replies and insights.
> I did try running the test that I mentioned below (with olsr_switch) for olsrd-0.6.1, and I ran into the following error: “Error, cannot aquire [sic] OLSR lock ‘/var/run/olsrd-ipv4.lock’, Another OLSR instance might be running. OLSR EXIT: Terminated”
> So I’m not sure if olsr_switch is compatible with the newer olsrd versions that you listed.  As for the seg fault error that I mentioned below, I’m wondering if by simply being more generous in the memory allocation of a few pertinent arrays, I can support more distinct olsrd processes.
> At this point, my intention is to see how many distinct olsrd processes can be supported on a single Linux kernel.  Ideally I’d like to have 100 distinct olsrd processes running simultaneously on the same kernel; from browsing the olrsd website, it seemed that olsr_switch would be a useful tool for me in that regard.
> If my proposed bugfix (i.e. more generous memory allocation) doesn’t work, I’ll go with your suggestion of using olsrd-0.6.1 in conjunction with a few VMs.  I do see that Xen has been discussed on the mailing list, so that would be a good place for me to start: http://lists.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-users/2009-April/003389.html

Caleb,
I had some success with UML (usermode Linux (with debian images)) and recently changed my setup to KVM (as by Henning's suggestions) (with openwrt images)
With UML I was able to start ~ 1000 instances with OLSR in parallel.
However, here you will notice quite some starvation (the linux kernels (and their respective scheduler inside each instance) in the UMLs dont' get enough CPU power . But - memory-wise it worked very well with UML. :)

I would assume with a decent quad core or hexacore  machine you would have no problems to run 100 openwrts + olsr in either a UML or KVM setup. I guess you can also do the same with Xen.

Caleb, also take a look at Cloonix: http://clownix.net/
Cloonix rocks! It is very nice for experiments...