[Olsr-users] Scalability of Networks using Olsr_Switch

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 16 02:11:38 CET 2010

On Thursday 16 December 2010 01:22:49 Lo, Caleb K. wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>                 I'm running olsrd-0.5.4, and I'm trying to simulate a large
> network using the olsr_switch application.  I've tried to set up a large
> network in host-emulation mode using the instructions in the "Running
> olsrd in host-emulation mode" section of:
> http://www.olsr.org/docs/README-Olsr-Switch.html The command that I used
> was "./olsrd -d 1 -hemu 10.0.0.x", where x ranges from 1 to 17
> (inclusive).  I'm using the olsrd.conf file that was provided in the
> tarball from the olsrd website, except that I disabled hysteresis based on
> the following run-time error that I observed: "Hysteresis and LinkQuality
> cannot both be active!  Deactivate one of them.  Bad configuration!" Using
> GNU Screen, I started olsr_switch in one window, and then I started
> (sequentially) olsrd in 17 new windows.  When I started the 17th olsrd
> process, I observed the following error on the other processes: "Could not
> read whole packet (size 51592, read 31848).  Segmentation fault", and they
> all crashed. Is this a fundamental limitation (in terms of scalability) of
> olsr_switch, or is this a bug that could be fixed by changing some
> appropriate constants in the olsr_switch and/or olsr directories? Thank
> you very much.

I would not be surprised if you are the first person using olsr_switch since
the diploma thesis of Andreas Tonnesen in 2005.

I would suggest setting up a series of small VMs and use OLSRd 0.6.1 without
the olsr_switch for testing.

Henning Rogge
--
1) You can't win.