[Olsr-users] Olsr-users Digest, Vol 28, Issue 20

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Nov 2 10:31:00 CET 2009

Am Freitag 30 Oktober 2009 05:34:09 schrieb (spam-protected):
> Hi Henning/Markus,
>
> - Do we have any AAA mechansim in OLSR 6 release or planning to include?
There will be a 0.6.0 release of OLSR, but it will contain no AAA. This is out
of scope for the routing daemon I think.

> - I checked the scure plugin which is using MD5. Can I know that for
> what purpose we can use the existing secure plugin.
The secure plugin does a authentification based on a shared group secret for
the routing messages.

> - We have started working for some defence project for MANET so I would
> like to get help that what are the existing olsr plugin and features we
> can use for the project and what added features could be easy to
> implement with olsr 6 release.
It depends what kind of security do you need. Do you just have to keep out
attackers which do NOT get a copy of your crypto keys ? Then just encrypt
everything on link-layer with a common group key.

Do you want to have security even against attackers who are already inside
your network (for example who have stolen a device) ? Then you need some
additional stuff like authenticated routing messages (not the secure plugin,
because it's based on a shared GROUP secret), IPsec and some other mechanisms.

Henning Rogge