[Olsr-users] BUG in mDNS plugin !!

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Jun 21 19:30:42 CEST 2009

Hello,

after some long debugging in Berlin we discovered a subtile bug in the mDNS
plugin. The plugin does not align it's messages properly on a 4-byte boundary.
This can cause non-x86 OLSR instances to fail at parsing the OLSR packet and
create lots's of crazy effects like "10000+ 2-hop neighbors", "illegal HNA
package sizes" and simple crashs (sometimes because no memory is left).

!!!!! I suggest anyone shutting down the plugin NOW !!!!!

until a patch is available (I send a proposed patch for the development tip to
Saverio).

There is a fixed version of OLSRd in the stable repository which does drop the
malformed packages, so you only loose some incoming messages which are in the
same packet after the mDNS message.

http://gredler.at/hg/olsrd-0.5.6/rev/f26ff5628e52