[Olsr-users] Current OLSR protocol

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 2 19:25:37 CEST 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>>> I've asked this question before, but I still haven't received an
>>> answer.
>>> What new mechanisms exist in OLSRv2 to solve the problem of desyn-
>>> chronisation of link-state databases in the presence of packet loss?
>
>> There is a protocol called babel for that and it has it's own
>> mailinglist
>> and Juliusz is the author ;-)
>
> Aaron, your sarcasm brings nothing to the discussion at hand.

Oh, I simply thought it was funny and not intended to be sarcastic.

Yes, OLSRv2 basically has the core idea of refactoring interesting
parts of the protocol *so that other protocols can also use that RFC
part*!
If you would/could adopt parts of Babel to some of the OLSRv2 RFCs
then it would be finally compliant to some RFC.

That is the main step with v2. No magic! Just a step by step hard work
approach.
(I think Henning also answered that in the meantime)

Juliusz: before you chime into the OLSR.org bashing (why actually?
People do that as a hobby), please just be once and finally aware that
we see this totally from the network maintainers side:
there are large networks out there which are probably impossible to
switch over to something else.
Since we totally love these networks, there is only one path forward:
measure, debug, take the best ideas from other protocols, learn,
discuss, integrate, test , go back to step 1

a.