[Olsr-users] Off Topic: Frequency select

Derek C (spam-protected)
Sun Jan 25 19:31:46 CET 2009

Hi Henning,

On Sun, January 25, 2009 4:40 pm, Henning Rogge wrote:

>> It's a pity we can't change the channel bandwidth with the standard
>> madwifi drivers - maybe these settings would help too.
> I don't think you know what you are talking about.

That's not a very pleasant comment.

I've found that, at 5 Ghz, using "turbo" channels (40Mhz) I get better
throughput over standard (20Mhz) channels.  I'm doing this right now on a
couple of NLOS connections.

The Ubiquiti HAL allows channel bandwidth control whereas the standard
madwifi driver does not.  I think it would be interesting to try different
channel widths to see if it could improve transmission in areas with
interference.  I have not tried the Ubiquiti driver.

>> The other thing I found that brought the speed up was to change the
>> distance setting from 12000 meters to 800 meters - I didn't think I'd
>> see any difference in throughput based on this setting but I did.
> Distance setting ???

"athctrl -i wifiX -d XXXX" where "d", as you probably know, is distance in
mtrs.

Derek

Derek C
In Ireland