[Olsr-users] Sticky gateway [was: olsr and streaming]

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Mon Jan 19 16:07:59 CET 2009

Hi,

a tunnel works well - at a first glance. It works, because the gateway-using
node has the decision on what gateway it uses. What the nodes in-between
think about this decision does not matter.

At the second glance, auto-tunnels have drawbacks:

a) difficult to firewall (at least for Gateway-Owner)

b) no more traceroute-debugging

c) auto-tunnels do not care about topo.

d) tends to be "manually optimized" (or so-to-speak: well optimized, if
there's a regulary user, otherwise totally chaotic because it reflects a
manual decision in the past)

e) leads to rotten default routes on each node (if that system resource is
not used any more by third parties, people start to use default routes as
solution for their half-understand routing problems. Which in turn makes
default routes for forwarding unusable -> selecting the auto-tunnel route is
a one-way-ticket for sure.

f) if we start auto-tunnels for 0/0 today, tomorrow we use them for /1, then
/2 until we reach /32. I'm not sure about the implications.

But yes: it banns the loop-thread for the thesholded default routes and
shifts decision from the protocol to the user.

// Sven-Ola