[Olsr-users] "cheap and cheerful" repeater stations

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Sat Jan 17 11:56:29 CET 2009

On Jan 17, 2009, at 2:48 AM, Derek C wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This isn't an olsrd question - but it's not a question non-mesh people
> would ever deal with (so sorry if its too much off-topic): -
>
> I have a location where, due to trees mainly, signal cannot be
> picked up
> in houses.  There is only one clear view out where there are no
> trees but,
> even there, there is no line-of-sight to a 12dBi 2.4Ghz omni around
> 500
> mtrs away.
>
> The question:  Is it silly to consider a repeater base station with
> two
> radio cards on the one single frequency with one directional antenna
> and
> one Omni directional antenna ?
>
> I'd never do this kind of thing in a "normal" traditional wireless
> network
> (I feel a bit stupid asking this question).  But , then again,
> interference is part of life with a mesh network.

Yes, for wifi networks we must live with interference and attempt to
control
it as much as we can.

> And, apart from the horrible frequency sharing thing, would it be a
> bit of
> a disaster having an IP per card (so two hops to any other connecting
> clients)?

you mean one IP for each individual wifi card in the repeater?

> Maybe a single Omni might just barely do the trick on its own too...

Yes.

I feel that your solution might work out.
That is what we have mesh nodes for :)
Concerning reducing the interference on the same channel:

you can do the following trick: use 2 yagis on the repeater, place
them as far apart as you can and turn one to horizontal polarization
and one to vertical polarization :)
You should get a separation of ~ -20 dB between the horizontal and
vertical polarized yagis.
Have you ever looked at a TFT monitor with polarized glasses? You will
probably see nothing. Same effect :)

hope it helps,
a.