[Olsr-users] "cheap and cheerful" repeater stations

Derek C (spam-protected)
Sat Jan 17 02:48:14 CET 2009

Hi,

This isn't an olsrd question - but it's not a question non-mesh people
would ever deal with (so sorry if its too much off-topic): -

I have a location where, due to trees mainly, signal cannot be picked up
in houses.  There is only one clear view out where there are no trees but,
even there, there is no line-of-sight to a 12dBi 2.4Ghz omni around 500
mtrs away.

The question:  Is it silly to consider a repeater base station with two
radio cards on the one single frequency with one directional antenna and
one Omni directional antenna ?

I'd never do this kind of thing in a "normal" traditional wireless network
(I feel a bit stupid asking this question).  But , then again,
interference is part of life with a mesh network.

And, apart from the horrible frequency sharing thing, would it be a bit of
a disaster having an IP per card (so two hops to any other connecting
clients)?

Maybe a single Omni might just barely do the trick on its own too...

Derek

Derek C
In Ireland