[Olsr-users] [Olsr-dev] Good ideas about interface IPs in OLSR

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 9 12:49:29 CET 2009

Am Monday 09 February 2009 11:45:44 schrieb ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto):
> > The "ethernet" settings tells OLSR that this interface has no real loss
> > on it's broadcast domain (either anyone gets it or noone gets it), so it
> > does not need to retransmit OLSR packages received from this interface
> > back into the interface again.
>
> Maybe it also makes sense to put a default ETX value (say 1) for
> ethernet links, because there is suppose to be no packet loss on them.
We might do this and just use the Hello protocoll to handle automatic
detection of "virtual neighbors" which have to combine their resources.

> > Another part of the puzzle is the idea to set the source address of all
> > routes to the main IP. This way any package created on the router will
> > have the main- IP of the router as the source field. It needs some
> > additional work, but Markus Kittenberg is already working on it.
>
> Mmm... this removes the need for MID messages ? :)
Might be. I'm not completely sure about it, but I think we could keep the MID
information on hello (1-hop) level.

> > In the end (which might be a year away or more) it would be nice to
> > reduce the importance of the interface IPs even more, so that we can
> > switch to link-local (autoconfigured !) addresses in IPv6.
>
> Just keep in mind that IP packets with a IPv6 link-local destination
> are not forwarded by routers.
Only the gateway address of each route will be link-local. The destination
will always be
- either a router-id (originator address) of a MANET node
- or an address behind a HNA-attached network

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Maurus Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Joachim Ender (Stellv.)