[Olsr-users] Compatible network adapters for ad hoc networking

Breno Jacinto (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 4 19:08:47 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

  I`m running several experiments involving ad hoc networks. I`ve
selected some well known-to-be-compatible adapters, such as Edimax
(Ralink shipset), Alfa networks (Realtek) and Atheros (madwifi).
Atheros is available only as built-in adapter on the equipement or as
a  PCI board.

  So, I'm experiencing some instability regarding the selection of
the BSSID used by all the nodes. I start the network with a single
node, then another, then another. Now, for a couple of minutes it
works, bu then some nodes start losing sight of each and changing
their BSSIDs to a different value (when they should be in sync). I'm
really running out of
explanations of why this is happening, because these nodes are all
in-range of each other, and should be "pingable" directly. My main
suspect is the driver instability, but then I dont know of any other
better alternatives. I've tested the following USB adapters:

- Edimax EW-7318USg (rt73 drivers)
- Alfa AWUS036H-11g

  And the builtin adapters:

- Atheros chipset AR5007EG

best regards,

:: Breno Jacinto ::
:: breno - at - gprt.ufpe.br ::
:: FingerPrint ::
   2F15 8A61 F566 E442 8581
   E3C0 EFF4 E202 74B7 7484
:: Persistir no difícil é a única maneira de torná-lo fácil algum dia.  ::