[Olsr-users] OLSR v0.5.6-r7 incompatible to v0.5.5 ??

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Dec 9 11:04:18 CET 2009

Am Mittwoch 09 Dezember 2009 10:48:39 schrieb Michael Rack:
> Am 08.12.2009 21:58, schrieb Henning Rogge:
> > Is there a reason why you cannot use static routes in your enviroment ?
>
> In my environment there are nodes that have two ways to reach the
> CORE-Router (one direct DSL-Connection, and one Wireless-Connection for
> backup reasons).
You said you had only ethernet and VPN connections... okay, so you HAVE
wireless connections too.

> In case of DSL-Connection failure, OLSR change dynamicly to the
> wireless-connection and updates all neighbours routing-informations.
Can you describe the topology you are using ? Just a number of machines, each
with a "direct connection" to the server via ethernet AND wlan ?

> > That's bad... I was thinking about suggesting just running OLSRd with ETX
> > to see what result you get.
>
> I've got a very good tipp from "Markus Kittenberg" to install v0.5.6-r7
> on each machine and configure it to a another OLSR-Port and other
> Routing-Table.
Yes, you could do this to create a second set of routing tables so you can
experiment with the new code.

> So i'm able to test the code on my production-systems. If you like to fix
> this problem?
At the moment we don't even have a clue where to look at. But if you want to
run some experiments we can look at the results. It might be interesting for
you to test the development branch too, there was much cleanup in the generic
codepaths.

> > I don't think OLSRd is the right tool for you in an Ethernet enviroment.
> > There should be much simpler protocolls for this.
>
> Of course, OLSR is doing so much things that i don't need. But OLSR was
> the best solution for me and was usable out of the box. OSPF should be
> the best for me, but OSPF is to hard to understand for me. Perhaps
> B.A.T.M.A.N will do the job.
My point is that every adhoc routing protocol like OLSR, BATMAN or BABEL takes
time to detect a route loss. If you have only two links to your target
(primary ethernet and backup WLAN) you could install two routing entries with
different metrics and kill the "high priority" route if the ethernet link goes
down (in ifup/ifdown script).

This assumes that your wireless link is only "one hop" to your target.

Henning Rogge