[Olsr-users] Functionality of HNA when no OLSR link is established

(spam-protected) (spam-protected)
Tue Dec 1 12:08:10 CET 2009

We are using the OLSR UNIK Linux version 0.5.6/R1.

I understand the latest version is 0.5.6/R7.

Is there a way to see if this issue has been handled in the releases between R1 and R7?

Hans Jonassen

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Rogge [mailto:(spam-protected)]
Sent: 1. desember 2009 10:35
To: (spam-protected)
Cc: Jonassen, Hans Otto
Subject: Re: [Olsr-users] Functionality of HNA when no OLSR link is established

On Tue December 1 2009 10:02:34 (spam-protected) wrote:
> We are using OLSR in a wireless network with nodes having both an air
> interface and a LAN interface. The OLSR routing is used for the air
> interfaces.
Okay.

> In order to inform the other nodes of the relation between each node's
> air  interface IP address and LAN IP address, we use the HNA function.
That's exactly what HNAs should be used for.

> What we experience is that a node will transmit UDP/IP unicast packets
> with  a LAN IP address as long as the validity time of the HNA message
> from that  particular node is not exceeded even when the OLSR link is
> broken. Our  assumption was that packets addressed to such HNA given
> addresses would  not be transmitted unless there exists a valid link
> between the related  air interface IP addresses established by the HELLO and TC messages.
I think the OLSR.org implementation only sets HNA routes if there is a route to the target host.

OLSR.org remembers all HNA settings, but does not use them for routes
> As it functions there are two drawbacks; 1. The air interface capacity
> is wasted with packet transmissions getting  nowhere - and not stopped
> before the HNA validity time is past after a  link is broken. 2. After
> the HNA validity time is past, it takes a long  time to reestablish
> the link to the HNA given address (depending on the  HNA interval
> time) after the air interface link is reestablished by the  HELLO and
> TC messages. Short HNA interval times is not a solution due to  more
> OLSR overhead traffic.
Yes.

> Have we implemented OLSR correctly or is this how OLSR functions?
Are you using the olsr.org implementation (if yes, which version of it ?) or do you have implemented OLSR yourself ?

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE Kommunikationssysteme (KOM) Neuenahrer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-263,   Fax +49 228 9435 685