[Olsr-users] question about HNA function

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Mon Aug 17 16:13:55 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 03:21:25PM +0200, (spam-protected) wrote:
| Dear all
|     I am a newbie for olsrd,I would like to ask some questions about
| HNA function in olsrd. Currently,I try to implement the wireless mesh
| network which consist of two sub networks. The wireless router has two
| interfaces. One is used for communicating with other wireless router
| by using olsrd application called mesh sub network. Another interface
| is configured as AP mode to provide the connectivity to client
| (laptop,PDA,etc.).The Client nodes are independent to move to all
| wireless router and still keeping the same IPv6 address.

it does not work that way ... HNA are supposed to be *fixed* subnets.
i.e. your client cannot port the IP address with from one subnet to the other
except you add some sort of tunneling stack (= mobile IP). not that the lack
of mobility is an inherent deficit of IP routing and unrelated to
the OLSR protocol.

| In my objective, I would like to use the HNA message to broadcast the
| current location of clients in each wireless router in order to make a
| route to the clients. The wireless routers have to detect the client's
| address and put these address to HNA message dynamically. My question
| is, how can I put the client's address to HNA message. I found some
| documents stated that IP address will be kept in a local HNA table and
| this set is implemented in src/local_hna_set.c. However, now I used
| olsrd version 0.5.6 r5 and I cannot find the local_hna_set.c in this
| version. Thank you very much for paying attention to my question.

another thought:
if you want to obtain mobility, why not change your design and run olsrd
on your client. the daemon is pretty lightweight and should scale to a
couple of hundret clients nodes.