[Olsr-users] Virtual Machine testing net

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 10 12:44:21 CEST 2009

On Freitag 10 April 2009 09:43:21 Krzysztof Szuster wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 of April 2009 12:00:07 Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> > (...)
> > The first step is just a compile test... then we do some VM tests in
> > small scenarios (maybe 4-8 nodes) to see if something is horrible wrong.
> > (...)
> > Henning
>
> I'm really interested in testing OLSR network on some kind of VM network.
> I don't want to build a virtual network based on VmWare, qemu or like. A
> network containing 10-20 nodes would consume a lot of memory on host system
> and a LOT of work to configure it. The right soution would be creating
> multiple instances of ONE virtual machine with some script tool to
> configure and interconnect nodes (maybe UML?). There is also very promising
> olsr_switch tool in olsrd project. This is pretty smart approach. As I
> understand, it's a virtual "network" or switch connected to a set of
> olsrd's on socket level.  However olsr_switch is a bit buggy, perhaps not
> maintained any more? What are your experience Henning? I'd be grateful for
> any suggestions.
I don't think the OLSR-switch is really a great idea, because it does not use
the normal routing code and have some other special codepaths. Just set up a
number of VMs with OpenWRT on it, so you need only 8-16 megabytes of RAM for
each VM. This way you can easily emulate 100+ VMs without loosing the tests on
a real linux system.