[Olsr-users] Virtual Machine testing net

Krzysztof Szuster (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 10 09:43:21 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 of April 2009 12:00:07 Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> (...)
> The first step is just a compile test... then we do some VM tests in small
> scenarios (maybe 4-8 nodes) to see if something is horrible wrong.
> (...)
> Henning
I'm really interested in testing OLSR network on some kind of VM network.  I don't want to build a virtual network based on VmWare, qemu or like. A network containing 10-20 nodes would consume a lot of memory on host system and a LOT of work to configure it. The right soution would be creating multiple instances of ONE virtual machine with some script tool to configure and interconnect nodes (maybe UML?).
There is also very promising olsr_switch tool in olsrd project. This is pretty smart approach. As I understand, it's a virtual "network" or switch connected to a set of olsrd's on socket level.  However olsr_switch is a bit buggy, perhaps not maintained any more?
What are your experience Henning? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Krzysztof