[Olsr-users] Managing Local Default Route offered as HNA 0.0.0.0 when healthy versus OLSR learned default route from mesh

Eric Malkowski (spam-protected)
Sun Sep 21 04:16:33 CEST 2008

Tried this -- but it won't work because OLSR dyn gw plugin only considers
for HNA internet to advertise to rest of mesh a route with metric
(priority) zero.  From sourcecode:

if( (ifflags & RTF_UP) &&
     (metric == 0) &&
     (netmask == mask.v4.s_addr) &&
     (dest_addr == net->v4.s_addr))
   {

       ... Code to ping an internet IP to validate the gateway is good ...

   }

When setting my internet default gateway to metric > 0 like you describe
(you suggest 17), OLSR never wants to advertise the internet connection to
the rest of the mesh.  I need it to do that when it's local internet
connection is healthy.

I'm going to try out my 2nd routing table approach -- a quick look at the
dyn_gw_plain plugin appears it will work well -- my 2nd routing table and
sourced pings in my own script can add or delete a metric zero default
route  in the kernel's "main" routing table depending on whether I detect
the link to be good by using my 2nd routing table (that always has a
default gw via eth0) to monitor things.

I'll post my results.

Thanks for the ideas.

-Eric