[Olsr-users] Proposal: Use just one socket to send and receive messages on all interfaces

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Sep 10 13:02:10 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch 10 September 2008 12:54:56 schrieb Joerg Pommnitz:
> Regarding your comment "This part is not very interesting for
> OLSR because OLSR only sendsbroadcast packages."
>
> I beg to differ :-)
> Not about the broadcast messages (which are multicast messages for
> IPv6, btw). You need a way to say "send this message over the
> following interface". How else would you control where the olsr
> message ends up?
>
> Currently this is done by using SO_BINDTODEVICE to bind a socket to
> the desired interface, which obviously requires one socket per interface.
> Using the way I proposed one could send all messages over one socket
> and specify the desired interface as a parameter.
>
> Going this way would remove a lot of complexity from the "interface
> sensing code" that currently polls the interfaces to see whether one
> changed its state.
All messages OLSR sends as broadcast should go out over all interfaces
connected to the OLSR daemon.

Theoretically there might be the possibility to suppress output through an
interface if you don't have any MPR chosen on this interface, but that would
only be true for TCs.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)