[Olsr-users] XL routing protocol

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 1 09:53:42 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 08:46, Bob Keyes <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> I don't know how many of you have seen this paper from a group at UCSD
> (University of California at San Diego) which presents a new method of
> discerning which route updates to forward to a given node.
>
> http://ccr.sigcomm.org/online/files/p15-levchenko.pdf
>
> Some of the content of the paper is stating the obvious, but other parts
> of it are rather formal logic which I don't have the necessary skills to
> interpret. I am giving it a close read to see what I can learn from it.
>
> I am interested to read the opinions and reviews of some of the rest of
> you. Does anything presented in this paper provide anything of value for
> future versions of OLSR?
I'm not sure if this can be translated to OLSR over WLAN (IEEE
802.11), because WLAN is a broadcast medium. At several points the
paper seems to suggest that nodes have independant connections to
their neighbors, which would only be true if we only use unicast in
OLSR. I'm not sure if this would consume more (multiple packets,
retransmissions) or less (unicast is faster than broadcast) airtime.

"Wo kämen wir hin, wenn alle sagten, wo kämem wir hin, und niemand
ginge, um einmal zu schauen, wohin man käme, wenn man ginge." (Kurt
Marti)