[Olsr-users] The bug in 0.5.6-r2 on olsr.org front page

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 20 08:11:47 CET 2008

Am Wednesday 19 November 2008 22:23:11 schrieb L. Aaron Kaplan:
> On Nov 19, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Eric Malkowski wrote:
> > Hi all-
> >
> > I saw the post about a bug in 0.5.6-r2 on the front page of the
> > www.olsr.org website.
> > I looked at the users and devel mailing list archives and it's unclear
> > to me what the problem is.
> > The "bugs" link that goes to sourceforge on the front page appears to
> > have really old stuff.
> >
> > I'm very curious what the nature of the bug in 0.5.6-r2 is.  Can
> > someone
> > kindly post a link to whatever mailing list entry or other medium
> > describes the issue?
>
> I guess folks are still resolving it and we promised to give one
> person who wants to submit a paper about it or a similar situation a
> bit time.
> Roughly: the effect is that you could see under certain conditions
> that TC packets were dropped and thus routing info would not be
> available.
> This was of course a bit unfortunate since 0.5.6-* was now declared
> the -STABLE branch :))
>

> I will let Henning speak about it when he feels it is right.
I have written a modification of our former Duplicate-Set algorithm, because
we had a bug in it. The new algorithm is "invisible" to the network (it does
not change the behaviour of OLSR from the outside), but in reality it's a
"backport" or the new OLSRv2 duplicate-set.

The MPR problem I tried to solve happens with asymmetric connections (for
example an unlucky combination of a directed- and an omno-antenna) and the fix
is in the development repository. We are talking about backporting it to the
stable branch, I whink in the weekend we will have some code to test if the
MPR problem will still happen with the fix (and to see if the MPR problem was
the reason for the fix).

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)