[Olsr-users] IEEE 802.11s

Vinay Menon (spam-protected)
Sat May 24 18:40:52 CEST 2008

According to my understanding 802.11s is more like a switching technology
like layer 2 LAN Switches which are available now so a routing protocol like
OLSR or derivatives really
dont make much sense running on the same interface that runs the layer two
routing protocol ( atleast to me,may be i have missunderstood the
discussion) .

Since swithces broadcast they cannot be used between two different network
like olsr can .
So as i see it .... there would a PAN network with 802.11s and many such PAN
network will be announced over a wireless mesh router link
which runs OLSR .This more sounds inline with the established model
established of Routers and Switches.

This also will reduce the load on the access point which nowadays bridge the
connection for two clients connected .
The clients connected to the same access point can form a PAN in which they
can speak with each other,as they would
be in same network and wireless domain thanks to he master access point,
utilizing full bandwidth .

Just to represent things pictorially ...

OLSR Node 1 ------------wireless link ------- OLSR Node 2
      PAN                                         PAN
A_Client_1 -- A_Client_2                 B_Client_1 -- B_Client_2

Where in  the client 1 and 2 can directly communicate with each other
rather than use the AP to do so.

OLSR will see its true use on the wider network side .

The hidden node problem for the clients in pan would be solved by 802.11s
...i dont know how the bandwith would degrade over the hops in the pan
which would be intresteing to see.
 The other adcantage would be if 802.11S solidifies there may be asic based
implimentation in all wireless cards.
More over the "switch" out here does not seem to be just one hardware switch
but implimentation of the switching technology in each supporting device.

PS: please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,
Vinay