[Olsr-users] 802.11S

Don Moskaluk (spam-protected)
Fri May 16 21:25:02 CEST 2008

Thanks Aaron

Yeah, that is exactly what I was looking for!

So say you had a bubble that contain OLSR appliances you could work with in the frame work of 802.11S however as client or bridge but not as fully function 802.11S node?

Hmmm, I better but a few prototypes together and start working on some appliances!

Thanks

Don Moskaluk
http://www.moskaluk.com/going_to_the_next_level.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: (spam-protected) [mailto:(spam-protected)] On Behalf Of Aaron Kaplan
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 3:10 PM
To: Filipe Abrantes
Cc: (spam-protected)
Subject: Re: [Olsr-users] 802.11S

On May 16, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Filipe Abrantes wrote:

> When using an 802.11s network, all nodes within that network will
> appear as if they are 1-hop (L3) away from each other (although I
> don't really know if 11s implements pure broadcast). So, what would
> happen if you ran olsrd on top of the 11s network would be to have
> all nodes creating direct routes (no L3 gateway) to each other.

Filip, thanks for the clarifying comment.
Don: to be a bit more explicit: YES olsr from olsr.org and 80211s
will interoperate as automagically. 802.11s will appear like a big
switch to any layer 3 OLSR network. More clarification might be
obtained if you peek at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

hope it helps too.

a.

> hope this helps,
> Filipe
>

> Don Moskaluk escreveu:
>> Regardless of the terminology when you have two different wireless
>> mesh nodes (hardware, software, firmware, etc) you should have the
>> ability to interconnect not only a signal level but also using the
>> service OLSR.  Not sure if this made sense however since you are
>> about wireless mesh I just thought that I ask the question.
>> Don Moskaluk
>> www.moskaluk.com

---
there's no place like 127.0.0.1