[Olsr-users] BSSID Partitioning on Broadcom

Craig (spam-protected)
Sun Mar 9 08:07:55 CET 2008

Hi,

I am currently evaluating hardware for mesh nodes.  The nodes must have
serial or USB ports. So far I've been testing with an Asus WL-500gP, a
Routerboard RB133 and a Linksys WRT54G.

The routerboard has an atheros card while the other two are broadcom.
The routerboard is only supported by the latest OpenWRT so I am running
'kamikaze' on all of these devices with OLSR 0.5.5.

I was under the impression that the BSSID partitioning issue had been
solved in 2006 but my two broadcom nodes seem to choose their BSSID (or
cell as it appears in the output of iwconfig) from thin air while the
atheros card just uses the one I have specified.

I know this is not a problem with OLSR but I am hoping people here will
know if this problem still exists for broadcom or not.  Is it fixed in
the freifunk firmware but not in openwrt kamikaze?  Is the best solution
to avoid broadcom and use atheros cards only?

Thanks for your help,
Craig