[Olsr-users] IPv6: Using link-local all-hosts multicast address ff02::1 instead of ff0e::1 with Linux?

Joerg Pommnitz (spam-protected)
Wed Aug 20 16:39:33 CEST 2008

John et al,
with the fix I sent to the list I'm now able to use
ff02::1 as "all hosts" address. As you wrote, the src address of the
packets is now the link local address while the main address is the
global address. This seems to seriously confuse olsrd. I'm still
using 0.5.3 and with this version I see an LQ value of 1.0 and a
NLQ value of 0 on both hosts.
As neighbor I see the main address of the peer (just one right now) and
as link the link local address of the peer.
Using the RFC conforming hysteresis mechanism I get good hysteresis values,
but the link does not become symmetric.

I'm unsure about LQ, but hysteresis should work with link local addresses,
I think. The RFC carefully distinguishes between the L_neighbor_iface_addr
and the N_neighbor_main_addr.

So, can somebody shed some light on this issue:

Should a combination of link local addresses with global scope main
address work?

--
Regards
       Joerg