[Olsr-users] IPv6: Using link-local all-hosts multicast address ff02::1 instead of ff0e::1 with Linux?

John Hay (spam-protected)
Wed Aug 20 14:07:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:01:15AM -0700, Joerg Pommnitz wrote:
> Hannes Gredler wrote:
> > why don't you scope your messages with a TTL, pardon
> > HLIM of 1 ? - /hannes
>
> This might be an idea, but not the Right Way(TM).
>
> According to draft-ietf-manet-iana-07.txt we are supposed
> to use the address specified in
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses
> which says:
>
> FF02:0:0:0:0:0:0:6D    LL-MANET-Routers
>
> Im going baby steps in that direction. Actually, I found a program that
> successfully sends UDP messages to ff02::1. It's dhcpv6-linux. Right now
> I'm cutting this back to a simple test case to figure out what tricks are
> required.

If we can do that and also use link-local addresses as the source of
olsr packets, it would make things a lot easier and cleaner in the BSD
arena too.

John
--
John Hay -- (spam-protected) / (spam-protected)