[Olsr-users] Using multiple radio cards

Derek C (spam-protected)
Sat Aug 9 10:56:08 CEST 2008

Hi Victor,

I'm not so worried about LAN cables - I'm going to use SBC boards with 4
miniPCI slots and I'm only going to use three of them:  Two for 5Ghz
backbone connections and one for 2.4Ghz user Internet delivery.

The problem that I see is that if you put one node's card into adhoc
networking on, say, channel 160 and then you have another node's adhoc
card on, say, channel 157 then even if there are the same SSID they won't
MESH - obvious sure but with this being the case it would be a complex
planning matter to deploy multi-channel nodes - I think?

this is a very interesting thread to me though

thanks,

Derek

On Sat, August 9, 2008 5:12 am, Victor wrote:
> Hey Derek,
>

> Aaron is right on the money about using two different cards on two
> different channels.
>
>> I'd love to use separate MESH backbone frequencies - BUT - it seems to
>> me that if I'm using OLSRd and AdHoc networking then I have to set-up
>> everything on a single channel/frequency (if I use separate channels
>> then every node will not see the neighboring nodes surely?).
>
> This is not exactly true. You can have OLSRd and AdHoc networking on
> different channels. Just that the router boards on different channels must
>  be interconnected with LAN cables but still operating on the same OLSRd
> network.
>
> BACKBONE ************ BACKBONE
> |                      |
> | (LAN)                | (LAN)
> |                      |
> ROUTER +++++++++ ROUTER                 ROUTER ++++++++++ ROUTER
>

> In the above diagram the "+++++" and "******" represents wireless
> communication on different channels. And the | represents communications
> over Ethernet (but again over olsrd). Now as long as the BACKBONE routers
>  are not too close to the customer level routers (or your using direction
>  antennas) then you wont get too much of an issue with interference
> (obviously they still need to be on non-overlapping channels [1,5,11 if
> you are in the US]).
>
> IF you can a and b/g band radios, it is usually common practice to use
> 'a'
> as the backbone and 'g' for customer connections.
>
> Victor

Derek C
In Ireland