[Olsr-users] Strange problem with OLSR (unable to build topology)

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Tue Nov 27 09:46:48 CET 2007

Hi,

if you got results while running promisc, something may be wrong with your
netmask / driver setup. You may get around by hacking in the global
broadcast address in the device section: "Ip4Broadcast 255.255.255.255".

You may investigate what's really wrong. Possible scenarios:

a) the ifconfig does not correctly calculate the bcast from the netmask.
    You can get around by setting an explicit bcast.

b) you/your system changes the netmask during operation
    (e.g. /ancient/sbin/ifconfig wlanX netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).
   With linux-2.4 this leads to the following: olsrd tries to bcast
   on the official current iface bcast addr, but the driver tries to
   resolve that addr using arp

c) you use an IP address in the multicast range

e) you have some funny iptables stuff in the system

d) wifi driver/chip has implementation flaws

So in short: use the "ip addr ls" command to check your netmask, you "ip
link ls" to check your driver config.

HTH
// Sven-Ola

""Florian RODARY"" <(spam-protected)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello,

I'm facing a problem that appeared just today.
I'm dealing with a simple three nodes ad-hoc topology.
When running OLSRd for the first time on Orinoco-equipped nodes, nothing
appears in the debugging output. I've found that running a tcpdump instance
will cause instantly OLSRd to react and build the topology. It seems that
switching promiscuous states will resolve the problem.

This problem is strange since it worked well before. I don't think it's OLSR
related, but rather Orinoco related since Tx excessive retries and Rx
invalid frag counters in iwconfig are incremented before running tcpdump.
Does anyone have any idea about that, or faced the same similar problem ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Florian