[Olsr-users] Olsr-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1

John Clark (spam-protected)
Mon Nov 26 20:15:11 CET 2007

Aaron Kaplan schrieb:

> On Nov 13, 2007, at 6:42 PM, John Clark wrote:
>
>> John Clark.
>>
>> That, that being said... The Wife has just done the 'Give 1, get 1'
>> donation for Nicholas Negroponte's 'Laptop for every Child' project. One
>> of the claims, is that the software in the laptop does 'mesh'
>> networking. So, I'm going to 'get 2' and have a look at them...
>
> John, the pre-802.11s mesh inside the XO is a modified AODV which
> works very well as far as I could test it.
> However it is on layer 2 and you can not (*sigh*) get the firmware
> since that is closed source.
> And since everything runs in the firmware in the XO, there is almost
> no way to play around with it.
> You can take a look at the libertas driver.
>
> hope it helped,
>
> a.

Well, perhaps some one should call Nicholas Negroponte on the use of
"GPL'ed" software...

However, I've recently had conversation with a former CTO of XYZ Corp,
who's response to
the mention of Negoponte's name... 'I don't know how that arrogant
bastard got involved in this
humanitarian thing'...

So, if they keep it closed... it would be in keeping with 'arrogant
bastard' description...
The only compensation that I see, is if the project continues to benefit
the world, well, then
what can I say...

John Clark.