[Olsr-users] Scaling of olsr with reduced TTL

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 9 00:05:19 CET 2007

> AFAIK there are a few ideas in our heads at the moment: Hannes
> mentioned something with incremental (diffs) of TC messages. This
> should drastically reduce the load.

Yes, such things are very nice and put the "point of not scaling-anymore" into
farther regions. However, still you would have such a point. I was wondering,
if such a point at which the network is too large to scale would not exist
anymore, if just the TTL was not 255 but just something like 8. No artifical
network splitting necessary, just one wireless network, and every few hops a
gateway.

> But what you wrote below sounds very much like HSLS aehh... "fisheye".
> Or did I simply misunderstand you now?

Somewhat like fisheye, just that the max TTL is permanently reduce, say 8
instead of 255. So a node does not know anything about nodes further away
than 8 hops. I was just wondering if this works with Djikstra, if the node
only knows its neighborhood and not the whole topology (assuming the node
only wants to talk to this neighboorhoud within which might be an HNA)?

Don't think this is brainfuck, throwing out thousands of nodes would be
nothing for telcos or a government, also not for freenetworks with some
funding.

jens