[Olsr-users] Scaling of olsr with reduced TTL

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 8 13:18:38 CET 2007

Hi all,

we all know that olsrd won't scale with, say 10'000 nodes (or more). Not only
due to CPU, but also due to the traffic that would cause. I wonder if one
could still have a working network of such size by simpling reducing the time
to live (TTL) to say 8 or something. So each node only knows its neighborhood
up to 8 hops away, but still one does not need to split the network up into
different wireless cells, that cannot talk to each other peer-to-peer.

Of course, one could not talk to the nodes far away in the net anymore, but in
a scenario where a node only needs to communicate with nodes say at most 5 or
so hops away (because their is a gateway/HNA every few nodes), this might be
a simple approach to make this work. I do not know the Djikstra algorithm too
well, hence my question if this would work?

Regards,
Jens